Can I use my hair straightener in Helsinki?
Using a hair straightener in Helsinki
Whether your hair straightener will work in Helsinki or not depends on two things, the voltage supported by your hair straightener and the type of power plug of your hair straightener.
Will my hair straightener work in Helsinki?
- First check if your hair straightener can run on 230V, the voltage used in Helsinki (read how). If your hair straightener can run on 230V, you'll just need the right power plug to connect to the power sockets used in Helsinki.
- Your hair straightener can't run on 230V or you're not sure? You risk damaging your equipment or blowing a fuse making your device unusable when connecting to the power socket. Travel hair straighteners are specifically designed to work with multiple voltages so you can safely connect wherever you go.
Does your hair straightener have the right power plug?
Can your hair straightener run on 230V? Great! Now you'll need to make sure you can plug in your hair straightener in Helsinki. Here's the power outlets used in Helsinki, if they don't look familiar you'll need a power plug adapter.
Helsinki power plugs
Type C plug
Type F plug
If you are not sure, you can use the tool on this page to check if you need a power adapter for Helsinki.
How to check the voltage of your hair straightener
To check the voltage that is supported by your hair straightener you should look for a label or numbers printed on the handle, base or power plug, the exact location will vary depending on the make and model of your hair straightener:
If you can't find the voltage on your device, be sure to check the instruction manual that came with your hair straightener.
Single voltage hair straighteners will have a single number such as 230V or 110V. If this number matches the 230V used in Helsinki, you can use your hair straightener in Helsinki.
It is also possible that a single voltage hair straightener supports a small voltage range such as 220-240V or 100-120V, which means that the hair straightener can handle small fluctuations in voltage. As long as the 230V used in Helsinki falls within this range, your hair straightener will work in Helsinki.
Dual voltage hair straighteners will list a larger voltage range separated by either a dash or a slash, for example 100-240V or 100/240V. If this is the case for your hair straightener, you can use it in Helsinki, because dual voltage hair straighteners can be used in all countries.
It is important to note that some dual voltage hair straighteners will handle different voltages automatically, while others have a switch that you can use to choose the correct voltage. So if you have a dual voltage hair straightener, make sure to check how it handles different voltages.
What if my hair straightener doesn't support the voltage used in Helsinki?
If your hair straightener does not support the 230V used in Helsinki, you have two options. You can use a voltage converter that will enable you to use your own hair straightener, or you can use a dual voltage travel hair straightener.
Dual voltage travel hair straightener
Dual voltage travel hair straighteners are lightweight devices that are designed specifically for travel, with features like a folding handle and a long power cord. Because these travel hair straighteners are dual voltage, they will work in every country in the world.
When plugging in your hair straightener, make sure it is set to operate in 230V. The voltage switch is normally found on the base or the handle of the hair straightener, you might need a coin to turn it.
However, you still have to check if the power plug of the travel hair straightener is compatible with the outlets used at your destination. If this is not the case, you will still need a power adapter.
A voltage converter enables you to use your own hair straightener and other appliances with the 230V outlets used in Helsinki. However, voltage converters have several drawbacks:
- A voltage converter will convert the voltage, but you still have to check if the voltage converter comes with plugs that will fit in the outlets in Helsinki. If they don’t, you still have to get a power adapter.
- Voltage converters suitable for travel usually have a maximum supported power, for example 200 or 250 watt. This is not enough to be able to use a hair straightener, which typically uses 1000 watt or more.
- Converters that support higher power requirements are quite bulky and heavy, so these voltage converters are not really suitable for travel.
Because of these reasons you are usually better of using a dedicated dual voltage travel hair straightener instead of a voltage converter.
Send us some love
We'd love to get your feedback!
0.0 (0 reviews)