Can I use my hair dryer in Luxembourg City?
Using a hair dryer in Luxembourg City
Whether your hair dryer will work in Luxembourg City or not depends on two things, the voltage supported by your hair dryer and the type of power plug of your hair dryer.
Will my hair dryer work in Luxembourg City?
- First check if your hair dryer can run on 230V, the voltage used in Luxembourg City (read how). If your hair dryer can run on 230V, you'll just need the right power plug to connect to the power sockets used in Luxembourg City.
- Your hair dryer can't run on 230V or you're not sure? You risk damaging your equipment or blowing a fuse making your device unusable when connecting to the power socket. Travel hair dryers are specifically designed to work with multiple voltages so you can safely connect wherever you go.
Does your hair dryer have the right power plug?
Can your hair dryer run on 230V? Great! Now you'll need to make sure you can plug in your hair dryer in Luxembourg City. Here's the power outlets used in Luxembourg City, if they don't look familiar you'll need a power plug adapter.
Luxembourg City power plugs
Type C plug
Type F plug
If you are not sure, you can use the tool on this page to check if you need a power adapter for Luxembourg City.
How to check the voltage of your hair dryer
To check the voltage that is supported by your hair dryer you should look for a label or numbers printed on the handle, base or power plug, the exact location will vary depending on the make and model of your hair dryer:
If you can't find the voltage on your device, be sure to check the instruction manual that came with your hair dryer.
Single voltage hair dryers will have a single number such as 230V or 110V. If this number matches the 230V used in Luxembourg City, you can use your hair dryer in Luxembourg City.
It is also possible that a single voltage hair dryer supports a small voltage range such as 220-240V or 100-120V, which means that the hair dryer can handle small fluctuations in voltage. As long as the 230V used in Luxembourg City falls within this range, your hair dryer will work in Luxembourg City.
Dual voltage hair dryers will list a larger voltage range separated by either a dash or a slash, for example 100-240V or 100/240V. If this is the case for your hair dryer, you can use it in Luxembourg City, because dual voltage hair dryers can be used in all countries.
It is important to note that some dual voltage hair dryers will handle different voltages automatically, while others have a switch that you can use to choose the correct voltage. So if you have a dual voltage hair dryer, make sure to check how it handles different voltages.
What if my hair dryer doesn't support the voltage used in Luxembourg City?
If your hair dryer does not support the 230V used in Luxembourg City, you have two options. You can use a voltage converter that will enable you to use your own hair dryer, or you can use a dual voltage travel hair dryer.
Dual voltage travel hair dryer
Dual voltage travel hair dryers are lightweight devices that are designed specifically for travel, with features like a folding handle and a long power cord. Because these travel hair dryers are dual voltage, they will work in every country in the world.
When plugging in your hair dryer, make sure it is set to operate in 230V. The voltage switch is normally found on the base or the handle of the hair dryer, you might need a coin to turn it.
However, you still have to check if the power plug of the travel hair dryer is compatible with the outlets used at your destination. If this is not the case, you will still need a power adapter.
A voltage converter enables you to use your own hair dryer and other appliances with the 230V outlets used in Luxembourg City. However, voltage converters have several drawbacks:
- A voltage converter will convert the voltage, but you still have to check if the voltage converter comes with plugs that will fit in the outlets in Luxembourg City. If they don’t, you still have to get a power adapter.
- Voltage converters suitable for travel usually have a maximum supported power, for example 200 or 250 watt. This is not enough to be able to use a hair dryer, which typically uses 1000 watt or more.
- Converters that support higher power requirements are quite bulky and heavy, so these voltage converters are not really suitable for travel.
Because of these reasons you are usually better of using a dedicated dual voltage travel hair dryer instead of a voltage converter.
Send us some love
We'd love to get your feedback!
0.0 (0 reviews)